Saturday, September 17, 2011

A 2000 Pound Croc…Really!?

It must be a dinosaur! Nope-this is true!

Nonfiction Writing

Have you seen this news story? http://news.yahoo.com/filipinos-hunt-2nd-killer-croc-1-ton-catch-052749439.html INSANE! I though sharing this story would be a great intro to writing workshop this year and capture their attention for sure. I am admittedly very weak in this area. I have still not figured out the plan for writing to fit my teaching style yet, but we are simply starting with sentence writing. I modeled a sentence about myself capturing a croc roaming our school’s track, then sketched a little doodle. The kiddos thought it was hilarious-the sketch too! I asked them to imagine what they’d want to capture {humanely of course} and sketch a picture and write a sentence that matched. It was a good indication of what they could already do. We have been working from here writing lots of sentences and using complete sentences to answer questions orally and written.

A great strategy I learned from a teammie is called “Flip the Question”. I ask the students what the question words are, then we cross those off and use what’s left to start the answer. I pretty genius if you ask me! I will be posting more about our sentence writing skills soon!

Q: How much does the average croc weigh?

A: The average croc weighs 500 pounds.

Want to learn more about nonfiction writing in my room? Check out my earlier post about using BING!

On another note…Finally feeling a little like autumn here in southern NC. The high was 58 Friday! It’s been in the upper 80s-90s all week! It was wonderful. So good in fact, I wore my Uggs! Too early, maybe…but my feet sure felt good! I’ve been sporting cardigans and Converse tennies all week and it’s been nice.

signature

button-with-border-small

No comments:

Blogging tips