Sunday, September 18, 2011

Plants and Main Idea

Well, time is flying fast this year. I can't believe September is halfway over.  I am loving the weather this past week. It's definitely feeling like fall. It's amazing how it went from 90 degrees to 70 degrees in one day. Fall is my favorite time of year so I hope it stays like this for a while.
We started studying plants this week and I am loving it. There are so many fun things to do with plants. 
 We planted our lima beans in clear cups so we could see the roots grow.

We did a main idea activity with the book "Our Tree Named Steve."

I love this book! It's such a sweet story. I got the idea to use it for main idea from Amy Lemons wonderful blog.  She used construction paper to make a tree. Click on the picture to view her post.


I didn't have that much time so the kids drew a tree and wrote the main idea of the book on the trunk. They wrote three supporting details on the leaves.


We also did a fun flower craft from Made for First Grade. Click on the image to go to their TPT store.





I think the kiddos did a great job making and labeling their flowers.

Visit my blog for more plant activities.


Well, I'm getting off here to finish my lesson plans. It is taking me forever to finish my plans this year. Hope you have a marvelous Monday!




No comments:

Blogging tips