Monday, August 8, 2011

100's chart activity

First let me say thank you to all of you who sent me well wishes I truly appreciated them!

Ok so last week I went to a math training geared towards incorporating algebra into elementary math. I know yall are probally like what in the world but this training was AMAZING! So I thought I would share two of her acivities she showed us using a 100's chart.

The first activity is the 100's chart puzzle. You take a 100's chart and cut it along the boxes to make puzzle pieces. Students are to pick one piece of the puzzle and place it where they think it should go explaining to their partner why it should go there using math vocabulary and language. I loved this activity because it incorporated purposeful talk within their group.



When students are finished making their puzzle they can then play 100's chart tic tac toe. Instead of the kids using X's and O's they use numbers from the 100's chart. For example if the first person places a 6 in the top left corner of the tic tac toe board then the other player can only place a number on the board that is related to the 6 according to it's position on the 100's chart. Ex. player 2 can place a 7 next to the six or a 16 directly underneath the 6 or a 26 on the last row below the 6. I hope that makes sense. FYI students need to use 2 colors so they'll know which number they wrote. The board should look exactly how it would look if you cut it out and placed it on the number chart on those numbers.

Hope this was helpful.

mysecondgradejournal.blogspot.com



Photobucket


1 comment:

Ms. Lies said...

Love your hundred's chart freebie! I have a hundreds chart freebie at www.teacherspayteachers.com/store/Ms.Lies

Keep the ideas coming! Great work ladies!

Blogging tips