Friday, August 5, 2011

Count 'Em Up Coin Sticks!

First, let me begin my expressing my excitement about having the opportunity to be one of the authors for Me and My Gang! This is going to be such a fabulous community of learners and I cannot wait to learn and grow from your inspiration! 

So, for my first post, I just had to share one of the best ideas (pinterest inspired) that I have seen in quite some time. When I say the words "play money" what is the first thing that comes to your mind? Well, if you are a teacher, you are probably thinking about hearing it drop and roll all over the floor. Or perhaps you are thinking about the fact that each year, your stash of money dwindles away and you are always left wondering where ALL of those coins went. Or maybe you are even one of "those" teachers who has tried to pay for a quick soda and realized that you handed the cashier play money that you confiscated from a student during instruction! If you have any of those thoughts...follow me here...and wait until you see this idea!!!
Money Sticks...WHAT?!?
 Head on over to my blog to find out more about these little gems!

If you would like to see more of my ideas or would like to pick up a few free printables, stop by and visit my little blog Second Grade Shenanigans!




Photobucket

3 comments:

The Schroeder Page said...

These are fantastic...what a great idea. I am totally making these for back to school. I also am going to share on my facebook page!

♥ Owl in a Vowel Tree ♥ said...

I love this! I have a few questions...How do you decide how much to put on each stick? or like.. how many different combinations to make? Do you still give students loose coins to help them do their work? How about when you want them to make combinations showing a certain amount? Sorry for all the questions, I'm totally type A and this is my first year teaching!! Thank you so much for your ideas and I LOVE this second grade blog!! :)

Jess said...

I used this last year in the class and it was amazing! My kids loved picking the sticks out of jar and counting them. Whoever got the most money in the end won. There were also sticks with no coins that said bankrupt and then that person would have to put all the sticks back in the jar. This is such a fabulous idea-I'm glad you shared!

Rambling About Reading

Blogging tips